Missionary blog of Sister Emily Heyer, Brazil Campinas Mission, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

fala TUDO!

This week FLEW by. Monday was Pday and we went to the home of a member in Campinas. He owns a school here called Wizard which teaches English and other languages but primarily English. Needless to say its very successful. We had fun eating tons of amazing food and cake and jumping on the trampoline and playing tennis and pool and sleeping and stuff. Then after we went to the park and played this really fun game involving hitting people with balls and lots of running. (I know that was so specific....sorry....hahaha). It was really fun. Pdays are never ever days to rest.....that's for sure...but they are always really fun.
Tuesday we had a divisão (split) with other sisters in a different area. It was interesting. They work hard but their area is a lot harder than ours is. Ward members aren't very helpful and people are always too busy to go to church. It was interesting and a little scary to see what lays ahead for me in other areas. :/ 

Wednesday we had our first interviews with President Perrotti. It was fine. I asked him some questions that I had and he asked if all was good with me and I said yes and then he said to keep up the good work basically and that was it. Then Sister B told me that in her interview the first thing that he said was "Sister Heyer fala TUDO! TUDO!" Aka....Sister Heyer speaks everything! He said he was very surprised by how much I know and how fast I talk and stuff after just one month. He said that out of all the Americans that arrived with me that I am speaking the most and very well so he was very relieved that there was at least one who is adjusting quickly. I was very surprised by this because I certainly don't feel I know everything or speak well but....I was very happy he thinks so. I think it's because my companion is so helpful and has really pushed me to talk and keep talking and has really prepared me for leading the way here with a new Sister. I am very grateful. Sometimes I still don't understand what people are saying but usually  I can understand everything. Which is such a relief. 

It was neat because after the meeting we had a de-stressing activity and threw water balloons yelling things that were hard and "throwing them away". It was actually hilarious. These are some things our zone yelled.

Sister B-I HATE THE DOGS ON THE MISSION
Sister G- I AM NOT AN AMERICAN (because she is really really pale and everyone always things she is American. Especially when she is with me. But she is from Curitiba Brazil)
Sister A- I DON'T LIKE MISSING MY HOME
Sister M- PEOPLE THAT DON'T GO TO CHURCH
Sister H- WHEN PEOPLE SAY "I DON'T UNDERSTAND YOU"
Sister Heyer- WHEN I SAY "I DON'T UNDERSTAND YOU"
Elder G- I AM NOT A DEACON! 
Elder D- I AM NOT JAPANESE (He is part Korean....but he is from Virginia...and all the Brazilians always ask seriously if he is Japanese and apologize that they don't have chopsticks for him and stuff...its hilarious)
Elder B- PEOPLE WHO ASK FOR CONFERENCES WITH PRESIDENTE! (he's the assistant president)
Sister Perrotti- DIRTY HOUSES (she had just checked the houses of some elders.....)
President Perrotti- MISSIONARIES WITH PROBLEMS

These were just a few but it was really funny. :) haha. 

As for the work this week.....it was awesome. :) We clapped at doors for a while the other day and we found one woman who was the sweetest thing ever. And she said she was looking for a church. She has been to many churches but something was always missing. But it is really important to her. She has amazing faith and loves photography and said she wants us to come back because she has tons of questions about life and God and hasn't been able to find anyone to answer her questions yet. We told her to write down all of her questions and we will find the answers together and answer as many as we can with her. I am very confident that we can answer her questions. In Preach my Gospel it says that the gospel has the answers to every question. She is what we call a golden investigator. She is prepared by the Lord. I am very excited to visit her this week. Pray for her and that we can help her find the answers she has been looking for. 

The same day we walked past a salon we pass everyday and a woman who owns it opened the door and stopped us. Turns out her daughter is learning English and wants to go the the US next summer but right now she really wants to practice conversing in English. So in two Saturdays I will go back and teach her English and help her practice....and afterwards she said we can share our message. And she also said she will give us free manicures and pedicures. Which is awesome but is a lost cause for me right now so I won't but it was very nice of her. Anyways I am really excited because I finally have a use for English and being American! Its actually useful right now. :) I am really excited for this opportunity to teach English but also an open door to teach the gospel too. :) 

Last but not least this weekend is our last weekend together before transfers and we get to finish it with amazing things!!! Our investigators A and T will be married on Saturday in the church by the bishop....and after the wedding....will be BAPTISED!!!!! :D Its AMAZING. They are amazingggg. I cant even begin to describe. They have endured many trials individually throughout life and about 8 months ago they found each other. They were living together when Sister B first found them about 2 months ago. She was baptized when she was 8 but was never confirmed (so because lots of time has passed she will be baptized again). Her sister is a member but she was never interested. He never had a solid religion and was really lost in drinking and bad relationships. They started taking the lessons and they went to church every week. They loved everything about it. A said it was exactly what she has been looking for. They flushed all their alcohol and coffee down the toilet the day we taught the commandments with them. They went to the court and got a marriage license and yesterday was their baptismal interview. They arranged everything about their wedding so they could be baptized the same day. Their wedding invitations also have an invitation to their baptism after. A doesn't even care that all her hair and makeup will get ruined right after the wedding or that they can't party all night. She is almost more excited for baptism than the wedding. He is too. They bare their testimonies with us every time we visit and they always pray. They even said yesterday that one day they want to serve a mission together! Right now they are only in their late 20s but they already are planning to serve when their last kid is on his/her mission! Kids they haven't even had yet! Its amazing. They are so ready and so excited and its all so beautiful. They asked us to sing at their wedding and their baptism. They invited any and all missionaries we know to come. They want everyone to come see their lives change for the better. It is a dream. That's what they both keep saying....its a dream. It really is. They are wonderful people and they are about to change the future of many generations with their example. They will be confirmed this Sunday as well. And they already set a date to be sealed next year in her planner. I will be here....and I hope that I can go and witness this. A said she is more excited to be sealed than to be married because they understand it means so much more. Pray for them that all will go smoothly. They already had their car stolen this week among other trials to work against them. But they are still standing firm. Pray that they will continue to carry on. <3 

Anways all is well here. I am sad that Sister B is leaving. I am grateful for everything she has taught me. I feel prepared to work and carry on because of her. <3 I am 98% sure I will continue on here in Valhinos but I will let you know next Monday! <3 Love you all! You are all in my prayers. <3 

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment