Missionary blog of Sister Emily Heyer, Brazil Campinas Mission, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Monkey sighting!

[This is being posted a week late because we were traveling last week.]

Well this week was crazy busy and I want to write it all so brace yourself for a long one and possibly very out of order email. Sorry. ;)

Okay this week I saw my first monkeys! Two! They were very timid and very little so it wasnt as exciting as I thought it would be butttt they were very cute and I got a crappy picture for proof for sam. I was mostly excited to tell the kids. :) 

Monday was p-day but sister a and b were in a meeting with president so sister g and I stayed here and relaxed and shopped for gifts for our "moms". Mine will be leaving in 2 weeks. Transfers in 2 weeks. Time is flying by. Anyways because sister a and sister b didn't get p-day Monday they had p-day Tuesday and we did a split. While sister G and I were working we encountered a man who was convinced that God and Jesus were one person and wanted to argue with us. He had scriptures and no matter what we said he argued or scoffed at. So finally we just invited him to church again and left. It was very frustrating that he was so cold hearted. But it made us look up more scriptures to use. And when we got back we prayed for him to learn the truth someday. It was interesting. 

We also taught two people who they have been teaching for weeks and won't be baptized unless the church gives them money.....it's ridiculous. We had to go teach them and basically Sister G said that if they don't go to church this weekend they won't continue to teach them. I bore my testimony and shared with them a scripture about faith and blessings but I don't know if it really did any good. It was a good learning experience for me though. 

We also taught one of their progressing investigators the plan of salvation and before we even started the lesson Sister G told them that I don't speak good Portuguese so she will teach the lesson. It was very very frustrating. I know a lot about the 2nd lesson and if anything I can share scriptures or bare testimony. But she just went on and on and on and then bore her testimony and ended and asked questions and then they started talking about other things. I was very upset. It was the first time that I questioned if I was truly a missionary here. I talked with Sister B for a long time and she was very kind. She reminded me that Sister G is very young and doesn't know anything about working with people who don't know Portuguese perfectly. She also reminded me that I know I'm a missionary and can teach and the Lord does too and the rest doesn't matter. She is of course right. 


Ran into a lady from our ward whose kids have chicken pox right now. And we rode with her kids in the car on Sunday..... -_- Please pray I don't get it. 

Sooo the next story might give mom a heart attack but please don't worry. We were tracking in a neighborhood and we were having a lot of success. We taught a lesson and found a whole family who wanted to hear the message and so we were feeling really confident. We saw a man standing in front of his house who was about 28 or so and Sister B wanted to talk to him. The minute we started talking to him this really dark and unsettling feeling washed over me. But the man was really nice and agreed to be taught and even said he wanted to be baptized Sunday "as soon as possible". Sister B was super excited and called Elder P about interviews and everything. I expressed to her that I didn't feel good about it and that something wasn't right with the man. But she told me that she didn't feel that way and everything was fine. She called him a golden investigator and that the Lord gives us people prepared....so I tried to listen and brush it off because....I mean what do I know? Anyways we returned the next day to teach him and we taught him the first lesson and the commandments. He talked with Elder P and everything was perfect. But I still didn't feel good. Then he told us that he helped with an abortion five years ago.We called President Perroti and he said that he could still be baptized but he would have to talk with the bishop first so the bishop can evaluate the situation and talk with president p. I still felt really uneasy but we continued. We walked with him to the church for an activity and to talk with the bishop and while we were walking he told us that he served time in prison for 2 years because he KILLED SOMEONE. Good grief. He wanted to be baptized because he felt extreme guilt for shooting someone. We introduced him to people and tried to act normal and then we asked the ward mission leader to drive him home with another man in our ward. We didn't have a chance to tell them that he killed someone and to be careful so we just prayed in the street after leaving they would be safe. When I got home I was very worried because despite all this and the fact he cannot be baptized (the bishop said straight up he can't for at least 5 years or so of repentance and then maybe he can) Sister B wanted to go back and continue to teach him and the rest of his family! I did not feel good about this at all. I prayed that an answer would come as to what to do. The next morning we got a phone call from Brother J (ward mission leader) and he said that the spirit testified to him that the man killed someone and to tell us we were not to go back. It was very clear and very strong. We will not go back. It is sad because he is truly repentant. And he wants to change. But killing is a sin that just can't be baptized and made whole again. We will continue to pray but we will never go back. I am very grateful for my spiritual promptings about safety. That is one thing I have REALLY noticed here is when we are in any danger I always get promptings of where to go or who not to talk to. The hard part is getting my companion to trust me. I hope that after this experience it will be easier for her to listen. She did talk to me in the kitchen that night and apologized because she realized that I was right. But I am very grateful that I get very clear promptings about our safety. You do not need to worry about us. The Lord is taking good care of us. And also I remember a lot about what you have taught me dad about safety. I even carry my heavy hard water bottle at night so I can smack someone if necessary and I never carry a lot of money. We also let men pass us if they are walking behind us and run through the tunnels if it's night. So far no problems. I can literally feel someone watching over us. I know we will be fine as long as we are obedient and follow spiritual promptings. 

My last story is that our ANCIENT investigators J and G (13 and 9) FINALLY got permission from their grandma to be baptized!!!!!!! It was AMAZING. Truly a miracle because honestly we never thought it would happen. We fasted Tuesday this week their grandma would have her heart softened and sign the papers. And then 3 days later she did. Not only that but she came! Her, their aunt, and 8 of their friends! It was a huge missionary opportunity and their grandma even cried. It was beautiful and truly a miracle. We were so excited. It was awesome. In my mind....their grandma is next. ;) I want to see her baptized before I leave this area in 6 weeks. Its my goal. Pray for her. She smokes 6 packs a day if not more. And drinks. And is Catholic. It won't be easy. 

Anyways sorry its so scattered.
I love you all! 

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment