Missionary blog of Sister Emily Heyer, Brazil Campinas Mission, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Better late than never...

[I apologize.  It has been a few weeks since I have posted Emily's weekly letter, so I am a few behind.  I thought about just skipping to the last letter, but Emily shared so much in the preceding weeks and the letters give a clear picture of the ups and downs of being a missionary.  So, here is her letter from November 4.]

Bom Dia familia e amigos. <3

Well....this week was another blur but I will do my best to give a little more detail. Unfortunately not toooo many cool stories. Prob more sad stories than cool stories but I guess that just part of this journey.

Emily and another "fusca"
Good old Chapadão has become terrible "mole" which means...lazy, dead, uninterested, unreceptive.....the works. Our long list of people needing help and wanting to hear our message diminished to one person. We don't know exactly what happened. We would share a message and they would love it and practically beg us to come back....and then we would and they wouldn't be home. Or actually to be honest they were home...and didn't open the door. Remember T? Yeah we went to her house at least 5 different times and she never answered. This last time when we went we called her name....waiting a bit....started writing her a note to leave on the gate....and then her front door which was open....slowly started to shut. Either this area has ghosts or people don't want to talk to us anymore. :P Its been kinda rough and we have been trying not to get too discouraged but it's now the last week of the transfer and we are starting over. We only have one person we are teaching who is firm. I guess I shouldn't complain though. F isn't just a person. She is amazing and I should be grateful. So I'll stop complaining and talk about F now. :)

F is about.....28 or so. She has read the Book of Mormon all the way through....twice. In a month. Yeah. She's amazing. Now she is reading it again with the Bible. She loves it. She will go to the temple with us this week and we will invite her to be baptized. She is a little shy and a little hesitant so we shall see. But she has a really strong testimony and she is so happy with all the things we share with her so I cant help but get my hopes up even just a little. 

a baby pineapple
Yesterday we had our first Ward Family Night. We are trying to help the members by creating a weekly activity they can invite friends to. We have learned that it is almost impossible to find people without references from members. So we are doing our best to get them more excited. It's slow going but the activity yesterday went really well and everyone had a great time. We even had two inactive members come and they loved it. There weren't a TON of people there but it was our first one so we just have to stay firm and patient even if people complain or try to tell us how everything we are doing wrong. ;P 

I have been asked to give a talk next Sunday. It will be my first one. I am excited but nervous. The good news is I found an amazing talk by Jeffrey R. Holland that talks about the Atonement and Missionary Work. I've decided to use the atonement as my focus and use some of his points. We shall see. 

Other than that there really isn't much to report. Lots of working, lots of sun, lots of rejection, lots of blessings, lots of learning......oh and I officially have the worlds best watch tan line. :) 

Hope all is well with everyone! Next week will be the infamous "I've been transferred" or "I will stay" email! :) Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment