Missionary blog of Sister Emily Heyer, Brazil Campinas Mission, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Sunday, October 19, 2014

But for a Small Moment

This week was a bit tough. Physically and emotionally. The work didn't go as well as we hoped and I have never been so exhausted in my life. But next week is a new week. :) 

-Monday I had the chance to go to Campinas and visit with various recent converts and inactive members that I worked with in Castelo. It was such a wonderful experience to see them again. Sheila, bless her heart, even cried when she saw me. We had the chance to chat for a good 2 hours, it being p-day, and catch up on what is new with her family. They are preparing to receive their Patriarchal blessings and be sealed in the temple. They are aiming for November 22nd....the last sat. of my mission so that I can go. We are praying that this date will work out. :) Bernadete did not know that I was coming and we had a blast sneaking up on her in her kitchen. She was floored! She didn't talk for a good 3 minutes out of shock....just kept hugging me. It was wonderful to see her again. 

I also got to spend the night with my dear Ware who left today for home. We stayed up later than we should getting our last mission chat in. It was wonderful to talk to her, but of course left me very depressed. Thankfully she only lives a few hours drive away, otherwise I might have died saying goodbye. There are few people in this world who have helped me and loved me more than Sister Ware. This month will be a challenge knowing she is not here but I am immensely happy for her that she served with honor and is now on her way to some long naps and pedicures. ;P <3 

Tuesday was my last multizone meeting. It was a wonderful meeting. But was difficult. I had to bear my last testimony and afterwards we took pictures and everyone was saying goodbye and asking me what I will do next. I think it all started to really hit me in that moment that 1. I don’t know what I will do next..... and 2. I am leaving. How do you just say goodbye to 18 months of your life. I am currently in mission limbo.....half saying goodbye and being told my flight plans to go home....and half being told to keep going because I still have 5 weeks left. Talk about torn emotions. It’s a challenge I was not expecting but I am adjusting. 

This week I was also informed that I will be transferred. Something that I was definitely NOT expecting. But the Lord clearly has other plans for me than I had for myself. I know that He has prepared very specific challenges for me in my new area but that He is also preparing a way for me to be more blessed and grow even more, for the last time on the mission. It will be a struggle but I know it is what He needs me to do now, so I will do it. I am excited, but.....very very exhausted. VERY. I have never felt so physically drained in my whole life. 

This week the heat came back. In full force. 38 degrees C already at 8:00 in the morning. Or....100.4 in F in case you are thinking that that isn’t very hot.....Bad news….I'm even more drained. Good news....I have lost 6.5 pounds in 4 days. If this keeps up Ill be smaller than Dorey when I get home! ;P haha. 

Oh quick cool story. A guy stopped us in the park this week and told us he is visiting from another city and that he is a recent convert. He then told us his story. He was a pastor for the baptist church. He was earning excellent money, he had tons of success, and even got his own apartment paid for by the church. Well, he had a certain difficulty come up in His church and he said that he came to the moment where he needed to know if he was really preaching the right things and if his church was true. He prayed....and felt that it wasn't right. Shortly afterwards he met the missionaries. He read the book of Mormon, D&C, and Pearl of Great Price in 3 months. He quit his job, lost his apartment, and all of his friends. His congregation was furious. He said that he tried to explain to them that he had taught them all he knew and all he knew to be true but that that was only to a certain point. He had shared ALL he had with them, but now he is learning more and seeing that there is MUCH more than he had to share with them. Many actually followed him, met the missionaries, and were baptized. Many cut all contact with him forever. He said that he knows with every fiber of his being that the church is true. He studied theology for 6 years, and all that he learned fits perfectly with the doctrine or is even further explained because of the teachings of the church. He said he understands to a small degree what Joseph Smith went through to come to the truth and that although he sacrificed everything, he wouldn’t trade it for anything. Oh and btw.....he is only 26 years old. It was an incredible story. I am so grateful for this tender mercies to meet people that can change your life just through their simple conversion story. He is an incredible person and I am grateful that we were in that park at the right time, to meet him and hear his story. 

Well....that is it for this week I think. I love you all. Have a good week!

Sister Heyer

An EXCELLENT TALK:

No comments:

Post a Comment