Missionary blog of Sister Emily Heyer, Brazil Campinas Mission, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Sunday, November 2, 2014

The Last Days

[As the days until Emily gets home tick by rather quickly her emails get shorter and shorter.  We are sure it is because she is busy filling her last days with mission work and saving all the stories for when she gets home.  We are so excited to have her home!  Here are her fourth and third to last emails home...]

October 20

It has been 40 degrees every day, all week. And at night the winds rip through the city like The Wizard of Oz and there is lightening. But no rain. It is hotter than hot and I am more and more excited to feel the cold in a few weeks. However, I think that after being so used to this heat I might die the minute I step off the plane. ;P Minor detail. 

This week I was transferred and moved into my new and last area, Iguatemi, (yep....returned!!!!) with Sister P. Sister P is from Fortaleza and is the funniest person I have ever met. We laugh every single minute of every single day which keeps us alive in this sun. We have consumed at least 100 popsicles this week and have taught many many lessons melting on people´s couches.

 We also had 2 baptisms this weekend, a couple named L and N. They are excellent and full of faith. They bore their testimonies and we had the privilege to participate in one of the most spiritual and beautiful baptism meetings I have ever been too. The ward was very supportive and the talks were spot on. I got to sing, which is always fun, and they were so happy. L cried the whole meeting. haha. :) They are amazing people and they have taught me so much.....funny role switch. 

Cute story a member shared about his grandkids......Their grandma was in the hospital after having a heart attack and they were at school. That night the teacher sent them home with a note that said, "Today *Fernanda (4) and *Guilerme (5) did not accept a popsicle after lunch. When I asked them why they would not eat they said that they were going to "fast for grandma" until 3:00 pm so they would not eat or drink anything until then. Lunch was at 12:00. And the afternoon snacks are given at 3:00. At 3:00 they participated in snack time. Thought you should know that your children have a lot of faith." 

I thought that was just too sweet. The simplicity of a child, where even just a 3 hour fast of faith and dedication can make a big difference. Their grandma is home now and doing better than ever. 

I am loving my last area. I have 4 more emails home before I am actually home. I am excited and nervous. I am making the best out of every moment here and trying not to count down the days because it just makes it go by slower. ;P I love you all and have a great week! 

Sister Heyer


October 27

This is my third to last email. :) Three weeks. :) 

This week R was baptized. It was a beautiful baptism. We literally saw on her face how she was cured by baptism. All of the pains she had from the death of her son were washed away in that water. She forgave the Lord for "taking her son" and is learning how to accept the will of the Lord in her life. Her baptism was beautiful. 

This week we are on the hunt for new investigators. Wish us luck. 

Sorry it is so short. The best part of the week and the only part I really remember was R’s baptism. :) Which is exactly how it should be. :) 

Have a good week! See you all very very soon. :) 

Love, 

Sister Heyer

No comments:

Post a Comment